Wednesday 28 November 2012

Coffeeholic Hell


So it's that time of year when students all over the world start studying and writing papers late into the night; turning what was a 11 o'clock bedtime into a 3 o'clock bedtime. We try and push every ounce of energy into staying awake to write those last 3 paragraphs for the mornings due date. Whether you are organised or not November is a time when all students unravel and turn to caffeine as the answer. Sweet sweet caffeine, how you have saved the lives of many students. Here's the problem, in wales you can't get that night cap! I walked around for 45 minutes the other night doing my own little coffee shop research. My results? Most shops close a 6pm, some at 7, the ones in the mall are open until 8 (thank goodness!), but after 8 o'clock you switch to beer. Coming from a world of 24/7 Tim Horton's this is such a strange concept. I asked several friends why they don't serve coffee after 8 and they all thought it was a very simple answer "because it's almost bedtime. Why would you want caffeine that late at night?" The truth is this country isn't built around coffee like we were/are. As I mentioned earlier, they drink hot beverages as a social event not for the pick-me-up the caffeine gives them. If they want caffeine they reach for an energy drink, which is something that is now highly discouraged against in North America.  I guess the point of this message is that I will be making my warm beverages at home before I go to the library for a late night rendezvous with my textbooks.

No comments:

Post a Comment