Thursday 31 January 2013

Everything that I have Learned about Leeks

In the fall I went to my first rugby game in Wales with my North American friend Sam (I swear she isn't my only friend here). Because it is the national sport of Wales we weren't sure what to expect but we knew whatever we saw would be awesome. We were like kids in a candy store. Thanks to the wonderful ticket lady, we had prime seating,beside the athletes tunnel to the field. We arrived in time to hear the anthem and see the welsh goat all dressed up and then saw Samoas Manu Siva Tau war dance. We didn't think it could get any better, but then out of the corner of our eyes we spotted them. Magical creatures. They had white heads with beards and a tall grassy hat. They looked like gnomes that just came out of hiding. I learn new things about Wales on a daily bases but this creature was beyond my understanding. I got the courage to ask the man beside me what these were. I swear to you I did not believe him when he told me his answer... "those are supposed to be leeks" what?!!? I didn't want to look like a newbie so I left my questions to that but I couldn't wrap my head around the fact that people dressed up as leeks in this country to support their rugby team. People do crazy things when they are in love with sports. The rest of the games events weren't important (Wales lost, Samoa did their chant again, we saw some British Olympians and we made new friends).

Naturally the first  thing I did when I got home was Google "leeks and Wales." It turns out not many people care to do research on leeks and all the information I got was from wikipedia  and a health food site but  the following is everything you need to know about leeks....

Leeks are from the same family as onions and garlic. Very little is known about their nutritional benefits but they are believed to be similar to that of garlic and onions (go figure). They may or may not have immune supportive properties as well and be an anti-inflammatory and have cardiovascular support (again who knows how accurate this all is). People like them because they are a fairly durable plant that can grow in Wales all year round. They eat the stalk which has a mild onion taste.

Still didn't answer my initial question about why there was a connection between leeks and Wales......

But then I found this.... Apparently there is a legend that King Cadwaladr, a British king, had ordered his soldiers to wear leeks on their helmets in battle to identify themselves against the Saxons. I'm not sure if you would have guessed this or not but the battle took place in a leek field. This was such a common legend that even the great Shakespeare wrote about wearing  leeks  on the head as an ancient tradition in Henry V.

Quote from Henry V:
"Your majesty says very true: if your majesties is
remembered of it, the Welshmen did good service in a
garden where leeks did grow, wearing leeks in their
Monmouth caps; which, your majesty know, to this
hour is an honourable badge of the service; and I do
believe your majesty takes no scorn to wear the leek
upon Saint Tavy's day."



Thought this could be your fun fact of the day.....



 




















To get a better view I got the help of: http://www.welshsuperstore.co.uk/


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment